Cavities are defined as the damaged areas of the teeth that lead to small openings or holes that may go deep to the root, cavities are generally known as tooth decay or caries. There are several factors that can cause tooth decay including bacteria that are present in your mouth, frequent snacking, and sugary drinks. It also develops when you didn’t clean your teeth regularly. today you will get to know the way about Can You Reverse Tooth Decay?
Do you know, cavities are one of the top conditions of your teeth that remains untreated. About 57% of adolescents have had a cavity in at least one of their teeth. When the cavity remains untreated it may lead to root abscess but most people wonder about can tooth decay reversed?
According to the Centre of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) declared that the people from aged 5 to 19 have had an untreated cavity. Fortunately, some early cavities can heal their own when they approach good oral hygiene.
In this article we are going to discuss can tooth decay reversed, how the cavity develops and how it be prevented.
How Does A Cavity Develop
When teeth are exposed to the acid which is produced by the bacteria which causes the frequent development of cavities that leads to tooth decay.
The high intake of sugary foods and drinks can increase the amount of acid that produced by bacteria thus its attacks the enamel of a tooth. Over time, the frequent exposure to these products can continue to lose the mineral which leads to tooth decay.
There are 5 stages of tooth decay that describe how it develops:
- Demineralization: It is the first step of tooth decay occurs when teeth are exposed to the acid which is produced by the bacteria after consuming sugar and starch containing food and drinks.
- Decay of Enamel: When tooth is demineralized by the bacteria then enamel undergoes the continues destruction. At this stage holes are formed in teeth which leads to tooth decay.
- Dentin Decay: When holes are formed at the enamel part of your teeth then the third stage of tooth decay starts to continue decaying of teeth. This occurs when the decay reaches to the dentin part of the tooth which is quite soft tissue underneath the enamel. At this dentin stage the tooth decay will be painful.
- Pulp Decay: The pulp is the 3rd most layer of teeth. The final and major step of tooth decay occurs when tooth decay reached to the pulp part of the teeth which contains vessels and nerves in your teeth. Once the pulp decay reached then the inflammation starts and It would be really worse and painful.
- Abscesses: When the bacteria inside the cavity reached beneath the pulp and forms a pus called abscessed teeth. The abscesses teeth can be very painful.
About cavity development, there is no definite time that how long it can be formed. So the tooth cavity is due to various factors but poor hygiene is the major cause of tooth decay.
How To Reverse Tooth Decay
As we discussed, tooth decay is developed by the bacteria that are present in your mouth that lead to forming holes in your teeth. Many people think about cavities once it begins there is no way to reverse tooth decay, there is only resource is the drill. It is generally a myth and has no concern about reality because a cavity can be reversed when it is caught at the early stage of tooth decay which is called demineralization.
During the early stage of decay, good oral hygiene can heal your teeth and reverse your decay. Good oral hygiene is very imperative to restore the minerals in your teeth.
Unfortunately, cavities can not be prevented always. In this situation, there are many ways to treat cavities. These treatments depend on the condition of how long the decay has gone. With the use of such treatment, you can reverse tooth decay.
Treatment for tooth decay may include
- Filling: A dentist can remove your decayed teeth and then fill that area of the tooth. These fillings can done by the various material which depends on the condition of tooth decay. Filling treatment can repair cracked teeth. A resin and composite fillings are generally used for small fillings. For further information about filling you can read. Thus fillings of teeth can reverse tooth decay.
- Inlays or Onlays : Inlays and onlays are the indirect form of restoration. Inlays are generally used inside the cusp tip of tooth. Inlays actually covers the area between the tooth while onlays covers the cusps of tooth. Onlays are more of restoration that is similar to inlays but they are extending to out over one or more cusps of tooth.
- Dental Crowns : In dentistry, it is a type of restoration that can completely covers or encircles a defected part of tooth. Dental crowns are generally knows as dentals caps. It is made up of metal or porcelain. These caps are used, when a large cavity threatened to the tooth which causing tooth decay.
- Root Canal Treatment: In root canal treatment, filling material inserts into the inner part of decayed tooth, which is known as pulp. When pulp of your tooth is damaged then root canals introduce to reverse or cure the cavity.
- Extraction: When the tooth decay can not treated longer then the tooth extraction reversed. Tooth extraction can be done after using aesthetic that numb the effected area of the tooth.
How To Prevent Tooth Decay
However, is possible to reverse tooth decay. This should be prevented by maintaining good oral hygiene, which is still considered the best way to tooth decay prevention.
Some important ways are discussed below by which you can maintain oral hygiene that helps you to prevent tooth decay
Change Your Diet:
You should avoid sugar-containing food and drinks like juices, pop, and candy which make plaque in your teeth. In order to prevent cavities, you should consume such foods that are rich in calcium. It will help to give strength to your teeth.
Moreover, you can also intake vitamins and supplements for the production of bacteria-fighting saliva which reduces inflammation.
Eat foods that are rich in natural probiotics such as kefir and kombucha. These can offset the acidic pH in bacteria that are present between the teeth. Be careful about the pH of the foods and drinks that you used in your daily routine.
Set up Your Oral care Routine
You should at least brush twice with a fluoride paste in a day in order to prevent the build-up of plaque and repair any early damage to your enamel.
You should also floss your teeth once in a day to remove any remaining food particles in your braces that stop the growth of bacteria in your gums.
To prevent tooth decay, you should also use an antibacterial mouthwash that helps to kill bacteria in your mouth.
Increase Fluoride Exposure
Fluoride is a mineral that is present in our bones and teeth. Fluoride is a universal agent that prevents cavities itself. The intake of fluoride can replace the mineral lost from tooth decay and also it reduces the ability of bacteria to form acid.
So you should increase the intake of fluoride by taking fluoridated water and using fluoride-rich products.
In some cases, you can also ask to your dentist for fluoride treatments and ask for a description of fluoride consumption at home.
Sealants works great for Children
Dental sealants are thin and have a plastic coating. Forming bumps and ridges on the back of our teeth can help to prevent tooth decay where food and bacteria are collected.
Mostly cavities are formed under the age of 5 to 10 can be sealed for the baby teeth. After that, a permanent sealed also done at the age of 11 to 14.
Visit The Dentist
One of the best ways to prevent the cavities is to see your doctor or dentist at least every 6 months for cleaning or up to your dentist's recommendations.
If you have a cavity that needs to be filled then can’t afford to delay. You should go to get a filling treatment even if it's tiny which helps to prevent cavities. According to dentist recommendations you can choose the best way of how you can stop tooth decay.
In this article, we have discussed about Can tooth decay reversed? Tooth Decay can develop by various factors but it can be reversed in many ways as well as your dentist recommendations would be your first priority.
People wonder about can tooth decay reversed when it starts. Absolutely it can be reversed by adopting good oral hygiene and taking prescriptions that are given by your doctor or dentist.
In this article, we put enough information of about tooth decay and how It can be reversed. We are hoping you can get benefited from this article. If you are facing a problem or have a question regarding this article you can leave a comment.